Gen's upcoming events and Misc.upcoming projects...





GENS MISC. UPCOMING PROJECTS: Heartworm Press are publishing “Collected Lyrics and Poems of Genesis Breyer P-Orridge – Volume One 1961 to 1971. Later they will publish Gen's first novel, written in 1969, “Mrs. Askwith”. Other books will follow.

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Genesis P-Orridge Would Like to Hitch a Horse to the New York Post

Genesis P-Orridge Would Like to Hitch a Horse to the New York Post

1/26/11
Name: Genesis Breyer P-Orridge
Age: 60 Y-Eras old (B-Earth day 22/Feb/1950)
Neighborhood: Lower East Side
Occupation: Cultural Engineer/Fine Artist/Performance Artist/Composer/Rockstar/Living Legend. (This 2009 New York profile will help.) S/he'll be giving an "Artists on Art" lecture this Friday at 6:15 p.m. at the Rubin Museum.

Who's your favorite New Yorker, living or dead, real or fictional?
“Lady Jaye” Breyer P-Orridge. Born in Queens. I have met, been close friends, and collaborated with some of the most radical, creative thinkers (William S. Burroughs; Derek Jarman; Brion Gysin; and Dr. Timothy Leary), but “Lady Jaye,” after a profound contemplation, is the most remarkable New Yorker and creative human being from anywhere by far, in every possible and impossible way. [Ed: Lady Jaye, a.k.a. Jacqueline Breyer, is P-Orridge's late wife. She died in 2007. They were in the midst of a project to surgically become each other.]

What's the best meal you've eaten in New York?
“Lady Jaye” would arrange birthday party meals for me at Congee Village in the Lower East Side, and as “congee” is a Chinese porridge, that mixed with love and my best of friends made those my best meals.

In one sentence, what do you actually do all day in your job?
Daydream, analyze popular culture, collage, and play.

What was your first job in New York?
Helping care for “Lady Jaye’s” grandmother, who was wheelchair bound, severely affected by late-stage Alzheimers, and in need of constant 24/7 nursing and care.

What's the last thing you saw on Broadway?
Fosse, which was stunning!

Do you give money to panhandlers?
Sometimes. If they look old enough for homelessness to be a semi-permanent state, women with kids. Once in a while I give $20 just so there’s a chance it’s useful.

What's your drink?
Mimosa with a good quality Rose Champagne.

How often do you prepare your own meals?
97 percent of the time as I live alone.

What's your favorite medication?
A deep undisturbed night’s sleep.

What's hanging above your sofa?
Nothing; I don’t have a sofa.

How much is too much to spend on a haircut?
Haircuts are luxuries and as such should be as expensive as you can possibly afford. I get mine at Seagull in Greenwich Village or recently by Ashlee of Hair Metal at my apartment. Celebrity haircuts are one of the great perks of even a little media profile.

When's bedtime?
We usually go to bed around 5 a.m. and read for a couple of hours until we doze off sitting up with a book still in my hand. We usually wake up at about 10 a.m. after up to three hours of restless sleep.

Which do you prefer, the old Times Square or the new Times Square?
The old Times Square. Luckily I can still enjoy and see a lot of it as my dear friend who is an incredible artist rescued a lot of the large peepshow signs, framed posters, and memorabilia. Sleaze is always preferable to corporate sludge.

What do you think of Donald Trump?
I found his transition from pure dollar mogul to media celebrity and mogul of early “reality” mildly curious. Asia Argento took me to a very exclusive dinner for twelve of Ms. Versace's friends. Benicio Del Toro was on the other side of me to Asia. Ivanka Trump was opposite. She talked with me about our mutual admiration for each other’s haircuts. Ivanka’s was immaculate. I told Ivanka that “Lady Jaye” believed the best haircut always looked like a wig. An opinion I totally agree with. Asia and Ivanka did too.

What do you hate most about living in New York?
Being too hot in the summer.

Who is your mortal enemy?
I am more interested in the concept of immortal enemies. Mortals are too easily removed.

When's the last time you drove a car?
On my honeymoon in Haiti 1995.

How has the Wall Street crash affected you?
Oh, I suppose I finally lost all those millions of dollars my ex-wife (name withheld) seems obsessed with believing I have hidden away somewhere. So I hope now she and her cronies will move on to someone else in their endless search for fantasy island.

Times, Post, or Daily News?
"Post," as it is the only practical item in your list! As I can hitch my horse to it when I’m in a Western movie being filmed at some ranch.

Where do you go to be alone?
I go literally four or five days totally alone just being at home so I don’t need to go anywhere! Even the corner shop has installed digital robot checkouts so there’s no human contact there. Nobody phones anymore, they just text, and so it is that I am discovering the lonely future ahead of the pack. I’d get a pet but they’re not allowed. I’d like a loving companion but I am still grieving for … you guessed it … ”Lady Jaye.”

What makes someone a New Yorker?
Tolerance. A real New Yorker is always someone who came here from somewhere else to avoid some kind of persecution, often sexual-preference based, or to be discovered in one of the infinite, though no longer thriving, alternative scenes, i.e. theater, music, dance, vaudeville, art, drag, or in those of the greatest egos, to be “the next Andy Warhol.”

.

No comments: